Friday, June 27, 2008

Don't Try the Banku

I have been in Ghana for four days now, and things have definitely picked up. I finally started getting sick from the food, and I vomited up my Banku yesterday. If I could describe Banku, I might say a ball of salty play dough that you dip in seasoned oil. I also can never eat bananas again because yesterday at breakfast I saw a banana completely covered on the outside with ants and could only keep from throwing up because there was nothing in my stomach. It is not so bad though, because the heat makes you severely lose you appetite, and so do the handfuls of medication I take everyday. If anyone wants to effortlessly lose weight, come here!

The kids in the oprhanage are adorable but loaded with energy, which I am not. There is always a cute little African child clinging to one of my legs, and one begging me to hold it in my arms. I taught them some hand games recently, and the song "this little light of mine," which they love. I also gave them all my Barbie dolls which they have gone crazy for. One girl decided to braid all of their hair to make them more African.

I have been picking up small bits of Twe, which is a pretty awesome language. Here is Ghana everyone has a name according to the day we were born, so I was born on Sunday, and am called Acossia. Although, as far as names go, the one I hear most is definitely Obruni. I wish I could capture for you the strangness of being white in such a place. I walked down the streets and everyone looks at me, waves at me, calls out to me. Everyday I pass my a primary school and there are about 40 some odd children playing outside. As soon as one sees me and begins to call Obruni, the whole lot of them begin to jump and scream in a frenzy. They scream "how are you?" which is the only English they know, and this goes on everyday until I am completely out of sight.

It is definitely very safe here. I have not once felt the uneasiness I have felt next to a creepy guy on the subway, or a beggar. Everyone is just super friendly and relaxed. I learned that it is normal to be two hours late to everything, and no one follows schedules. Oh! There are also chicken everywhere. They often pick at the food we drop on the floor when cooking, and we often eat them the next night! And it isn't that hot here, and it rains nearly everyday.

Oh WoW, the craziest part--I will begin teaching high school science soon. my first lesson is Monday on Osmosis. The kids are really nice and eager to learn and nothing like the characters that find their way into Leonia. Plus they have no problem using a ruler if kids are bad. The regular science teacher is really nice and young as well. He wears this stylish 50's glasses and is a bit like an African version of Mr. Linares. After classes we all play scrabble, which is pretty much the extent of the nightlife here.

Anyway, right now I am on my way to spend the weekend in Kumasi with Meredith, and I am sooo excited to go fabric shopping, because here for only $2 you can get a dress made. I plan to come home clad in African designs and Kente cloth. Wish me luck! I will keep you posted!

No comments: