Monday, July 28, 2008

<3

Well, ok, I have always had this knack for meeting and making new friends, but I really had no idea how good I was. I don’t know if its my personality or luck but somehow things have just been working out nicely here. I was a little bit bummed because Erika, Leslie, and Tracey all left, and I kind of got in a argument with Meredith so I felt really lonely. Also teaching ends today for exams so I was just really confused. Should I get a new placement? Really I wanted to travel, but all my friends were gone so I was just very confused and bored and I missed home.

Well, yesterday I went to town with hopes I could find one internet café. It was Sunday, which means nothing, nothing, nothing, is open, but I needed to get out of the house. In my search I saw two white girls walking and I ran to them to ask if they had seen one. Their names were Esther and Christina, both from Canada, volunteering at a hospital in a suburb of Kumasi. They invited me to go to this hotel and get drinks, so I thought for a second, and decided I had nothing better to do. We went to this really nice hotel with a pool called the Micklin. It was actually the closest thing I have seen to a real, American hotel in awhile. We chatted, and they were really very nice, and it wasjust nice to make new friends on such an ordinarily boring Sunday. From the hotel we tried walking back to town and we ended up walking in the wrong direction. Then, God’s light shined on us and two Asian men in a jeep offered us a ride. Normally, I don’t get in cars with strangers, I swear. But the jeep was air conditioned, and they were the only two Asian men in Ghana so at least if the police had to hunt them down, they wouldn’t have much trouble. We got to town and were walking to a restaurant, when I saw a group of white people looking confused. Naturally, Kumasi is a confusing place, but I am very used to it now, so I ran over and asked if they needed help. Turns out they did! I took them to Sambra hotel where we were all going to eat, and they went to a drinking spot nearby. They were a group of foreigners who were doing study abroad at University of Kumasi--mostly in their twenties, although the one American girl was 19. As I was saying goodbye to Esther and Christina, I saw the group again. They were really friendly invited me to go to this bar which was very lively because the football game had just ended. I again thought for a moment and again realized it was Sunday and I had nothing better to do. I definitely made the right choice. The bar was POPPIN and everyone was dancing and just having a great time. I met new friends, and actually got to dance without having some random black guy trying to grind up on me. I also impressed everyone by getting fufu for dinner…mmmmm.

Today I am waiting for this girl Char to come that I met through TravBuddy.com. She is only 16! And she is in the same situation as me, where she has no one to travel with and has just finished teaching sooo yea. I hope she is nice because we are planning to spend the whole week doing the North and then the Volta region.

A few days ago, when I told my Dad that teaching had ended he offered to push my flight forward. I declined, but seriously considered the thought. Suddenly, I am so glad I didn’t. Once again my sense of adventure, of possibility, has returned, and I hope Char is up for budget hotels and $1 dinners!

No comments: