Saturday, July 5, 2008

Change is ah-coming

Well, things have certainly changed quite a bit. When I arrived back at the orphnanage on Sunday, I soon became miserable. Truly, I didn't mind showering with the bucket or sweating under my net at night. What was bothering me was the children. I was not originally supposed to live in the orphanage, but they placed me there anyway. Most volunteers live with a family and work at the orphanage 8-5 and then go home. But me, I was working 24/7 and I never had anywhere to get away. I started flipping out because the children would knock on my door when I was relaxing, and really I never had any peace. So, as much as I loved the children I was starting to resent them, and I called and changed locations.

After causing quite a scene at the office, I ended up in a ridiculously nice place. I live in a gated community in a nice house, with soooo many people and sooo many rooms. The head of the household in actually a Queen in the Volta Region. There is a shower and fridge and a fan in my room. THere are also screens on the windows so I needn't worry about the malaria situation. They also feed me very well, too well, my appetite has quickly returned.

I have started teaching as my new job.I teach english to 10-13 year olds. They call me Madame Cydney. I am trying my best to be a good teacher, although the schools here, like everything else lacks organization. No one gives me a syllabus, and they tell me what I am teaching literally 2 minutes before they want me to teach. It is like a big gumball machine everyday and I never know what colors will pop out.

I remember I knew that this trip would change me, and it has, but not in the ways I expected. I have become way more independent than I ever thought. So much so, that I have decided not to go to Argentina through a prepaid program. I will travel the old fashion way, and find a place to live and take courses once I am there. Travel is getting so addicting, especially here where you can travel to the other end of a country for all of $3. There are so many places I am dying to go now: India, Ecuador, Ireland, and I don't even know where to start.
So ummm
Thank you Mom and Dad for not letting me waste away this summer.

1 comment:

Puneet said...

I'll backpack with you around India next time I go!

I'm catching up right now to what you've been up to. Everything you've experienced so far sounds amazing :)