Thursday, July 24, 2008

Well, this past weekend I ventured off to Kofuridia with Leslie and Erika. Kofiridua was a pretty uneventful place, and after a four hour bus ride, we were forced by the rain to hang out there until we could get a trotro to Boti Falls. Boti however, was gorgeous. The two falls were bigger than anything I had ever seen and the water was cold and delicious. After taking a swim in the falls we prepared a dinner of white bread (there is no other kind here) , mango, and biscuits—everything topped off of course with a Star beer and for me a Gordon’s Sparks. It was at Boti that it hit me how cheap Ghana is—we paid $5 for three people to stay in a hotel room. Sure it was a little gross and dirty, but $5! After it got dark and we were tired of talking to the park rangers we went off to our $5 room, lit a lantern, and dozed off. The next morning we had breakfast for $1.50 and took a hike around the park. I thought I was going to die, I am so out of shape, and we were practically rock climbing. Not to mention if I did fall, our guide reeked of booze and probably wouldn’t have been any good. Anyway, somehow I made it and the scenery was nice. Erika and I took another swim and met some totally awesome Israelis at the falls! I was so happy that I wasn’t the only Jew in Ghana. They were here for two years working for, you guessed it, a cell phone company. It was just a really nice little slice of the rest of the world. After the falls we checked out and when back to Kofiridua to head home. The most eventful thing that happened this weekend was on the busride home. The bus pulls up at 1:45 and me and my friends get on. We wait an hour and a half. The bus still doesn’t leave. We ask when it leaves and 3 people tell us 4:00. So at 3:15 Erika and I take a walk. We get back at 3:45 and the entire bus starts yelling at us in Twi. It was a seriously frightening sight. Old, fat women in their church clothes pointing their fingers at us and saying God knows what! We sat in silence on the way home.

My host family has been hosting 10 Dutch volunteers for the week, and it has been nice getting to know some new kids. I even got to meet some Belgians which is cool because I am Belgian and know like nothing about my heritage. I also had the chance to visit the Adinkra village of Ntonso and the Kente village of Bonwire. Both were definitely worth the trip, although I get a lot more attention traveling alone. The trip to Bonwire was especially frustrating. No one could tell me where to catch the Trotro, yet they still insisted on pointing me in some false direction. I wandered around for 2 hours in Kejetia and was about to blow $8 on a taxi until an older man said he would lead me there. I was so rude and told him right away that I would not buy anything. Then I started crying. I am such a bitch. The nice older man walked me to the trotro and told me where to go to, and told the driver where to make sure I got off. Then, he offered to come himself. The whole time I am still crying and being a bitch. If you think a white girl attracts attention, imagine a one crying her eyes out and being a bitch. Both villages were only enjoyable for me because I like clothes so much that I love to see anyone design any kind of garment.

Oh yea, that’s another thing I am really beginning to notice. I am really very obsessed with clothes, and dressmakers here have actually finally given me the chance to design my own garment. While I have mostly made simple pencil skirts and tube tops, I feel so much more proud of these garments. They are mine! Who knows? Maybe I have been wrong to ignore design as a career option all these years

As far as culinary news goes, I have finally acquired a taste for Fufu! Now, I can’t get enough of it. Fufu is basically a big squishy bowl of gummy, mashed, Cassava. It is the cheapest dish to make in Ghana and once you get used to it is really tasty.

As of today though, I am strictly eating tea and biscuits because my stomach woke me up in a rage this morning, so I have been watching Bollywood movies on my laptop all day.
Oh well
I’m in Africa
life is good.

No comments: