Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Hot Tamale

Ok I am in Tamale.
So me and Charlie woke up a exactly 4:30 AM, for once before anyone in my house was up, and hitched a trotro to kumasi, where we then hopped on a bus to Techiman. The ride took about 2 hours, and was very uncomfortable. Techiman was pretty much nothing. The two of us enjoyed a soda and relaxed for a bit because we knew the journey to Tamale would be loooong. Well, it seems God smiled on us and the journet from Techiman to Tamale actually took three hours instead of five...halleluyah! Tamale was very different. Wow. The population is like 80% muslim and everyone ride bikes and motorcycles. I also don't get as much attention as in Kumasim, and when children call out to me, they don't say Obruni..only "hello!" which is much sweeter. Charlie and I walked around the market and dined on cut up mango and fufu. On a side note, I love fufu! Seriously, 1 cedi and you are stuffed. Now, I can't say my stomach likes it as much, but I get sick no mastter what I eat anyway. Ok so back to Tamale...The market was not as busy as the central market in Kumasi, but it was full of cow carcasses. Now I am no animal rights advocate, but to see the head, ribs and stomach of a cow being chopped up right in front of you, cow juice flying everywhere...yea it was gross. Besides that I like Tamale. It is friendly, peaceful, and just much different from the rest of the country. Now I am waiting for a bus to Larabanga to see the mud and stick mosques, and of course, I plan to go elephant watching at Mole!

No comments: